Monday, June 19, 2017

Diabelli Project 153- Woodwind Quintet

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This is the third woodwind quintet sketch I've done for this project -- and all relatively recently. I wonder if there's a longer work trying to get out?

This time, I was just interested in voice combinations. A woodwind quintet has all kinds of possibilities: double reeds (oboe+bassoon), metal (flute+f horn), mid-range vs. high-range, etc.

In this case, I started with what I think of as the metal instruments, then add the reeds. Finally, the single reed (clarinet) takes the stage. I haven't checked to see how it fits with the other two sketches. But I wll -- especially if another quintet sketch pops out of a flash composition session.





As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment